Sunday, October 25, 2009

THIS BOWL IS A TIME MACHINE

when i was a kid, my favorite part about the weekends was waking up, pouring a bowl or two of my favorite cereals, sitting on my living room couch and watching TV for about 2 hours or until my mom would make me do some chores. rocko's modern life, ren and stimpy, xmen, spiderman, guts, bugs bunny; it was the best way to recoup from a week at school and to start off a saturday before going off with my friends.

i am 21 years old and my life is very different than those carefree days long gone. i never wanted to be an adult, and now that i am one my sentiments towards my position have not changed. between financial stresses, school, my future, dealings with girls, my mind is overloaded with the weight of the world sitting pretty on my shoulders.

but i take solace in the fact that most saturday mornings i will sleep in, get out of bed, stay in my pjs and pour myself a big bowl of my favorite cereal. nothing is more therapeutic. I usually proceed with watching of an episode or two of it's always sunny, mad men or arrested development, and i can't help but get taken back to those carefree moments of my youth, if only for a half hour. more than a convenient delicious meal, there is nostalgia and comfort in this bowl of cereal. it is a time machine. taking me back to those days i miss so much. the combination of cereal, pajamas, sitting cross legged on my couch and quality television is one that is timeless and perfect. alas, the calls of life start to beckon me on, but i feel ready to face its call. i am fully recharged.

No comments: